History of Broad Street
Broad Street Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was organized in 1870 when seven men started to worship in "an upper room" over Samuels' Drug Store at 115 North High Street, which was at that time just a little bit north of Union Station and somewhat south of the newly formed Ohio Agricultural College, later to become the Ohio State University. By the first of April in 1871, a larger room was rented in the Session's Block, on the southeast corner of High and Long Streets. The church was incorporated on March 20, 1871.On the third Sunday of May, 1872, the church was moved to a site at the corner of Gay and Third Streets, which was a busy corner in the growing downtown section of Columbus. Here a temporary church building was erected until a more permanent brick edifice could be built. This permanent church became known as Central Christian Church and was dedicated on August 21, 1881. The church continued to grow and membership increased. But because a new street car line had been installed on Third Street which ran on Sundays and caused considerable noise and distraction to the worshipers, it was decided to move the church out to the suburbs, somewhere on east Broad Street away from the noisy and congested downtown area.
The site of Old Central, as it had been called, was sold to F.V. Schumacker, a local entrepreneur for the sum of $31,000. He raised the structure and built the Virginia Hotel, which is now the site of an Adams Mark Hotel. Until the new church could be built, the worshipers of Old Central used the YMCA for Sunday morning worship, paying $10.00 a Sunday for its use.
The Move to Broad Street
From that time until 1929 the church had a series of ministers, many staying only a year or two, but in 1929, Dr. Floyd Faust was called to Broad Street and served as senior minister for over 40 years. During that time the church became the church home for people from all sections of the city. Broad Street was one of the first congregations in the early fifties to desegregate and today it is a diversified congregation, with diversification in all facets of present day society. Dr. Faust was instrumental in bringing Alcohol Anonymous to the city shortly after that movement had started in the east. He also helped found Courage Incorporated, a self-help group for physically challenged persons. He had a radio ministry and with his wife, the Reverend Dorothy Faust, ministered by telephone to any who needed help and prayers until the time of his death on April 22, 2000. He was 95.
As this church looks forward to the new century, it is with a new spirit and
determination to continue its long history at this site and as a downtown
church. Again, after a series of pastors from Dr. Faust's retirement, including,
Dr. Andrew Laney, Rev. Paul Remick, Rev. James D. Schimmel, and Rev. Dr.
LaTaunya M. Bynum, we are now served by an intentional interim minister, Rev.
John W. Shearer. During this exciting period of discernment and
transition, we remain a prayerful congregation, anticipating what God will do
next at Broad Street Christian Church.
Street Christian Church